Charleston: What to taste, what to do, and where to visit!
Charleston has recently been named Best Town in America, Number 1 Place to Visit, City with most Attractive people in America, and so on! In light of these recent wins, I thought I would put together my top five list of things to do if/when you visit Charleston (because you seriously need to visit soon). I definitely am not a Charleston expert, but over the past three years I developed a serious love affair with this city.
What to do as a college student in one of the best cities in America:
1. EAT! Seriously, save your pennies up for at least one meal at one of the award winning restaurants. Some of my favorites are Fig, Husk, Cru Cafe, Leaf, and Circa 1886. Husk was just name best restaurant in America, so make sure you make reservations at least two weeks in advance. But besides all of the fancy restaurants, there are some that are a little more college-budget friendly and just as delicious! Stop by the Farmer’s market on Saturday morning and visit the Roti Rolls food truck-YUM!
2. Take a walk/bike ride around the battery and white point gardens and pretend that you are Scarlett O’Hara. The houses you will see are unbelievable (and you may need to walk off that big meal you just ate!).
3. Go to the beach! Drive out to Sullivan’s Island for one of the most gorgeous and peaceful beaches.If you’re lucky, you may see a dolphin! On your way back downtown, stop by Poe’s for the best burgers, tacos, and salads around!
4. For the 21+ crowd, spend an evening visiting the bars on upper King Street! Some of my favorites include Closed for Business for a unique beer, Fish for a fun DJ, Hom to play ping-pong and Midtown to end the night! If you’re still hungry, visit Butcher and Bee, a late night only restaurant that is a little further up King street. It’s definitely not your typical hot dogs and pizza!
5. Visit a plantation or take a historic home tour. Honestly, you could spend the entire weekend eating and playing on the beach but if you are looking for a little southern culture visit Magnolia Plantation (my dream wedding spot) or take a tour of the Calhoun mansion. You won’t regret it, these spots are just gorgeous!
Where are your favorite spots in Charleston? Do you have any travel recommendations for me? Enjoy your stay!